With St. Patrick’s Day approaching, it’s fun to bring out the themed treats! I experimented with the original rice crispy treats recipe and created a new spin on the original. Since Lucky Charms are much larger than Rice Kripsies, you need to crush up half the amount listed into smaller pieces so the bars can bind together. I also reserved some marshmallows from the cereal to sprinkle on top!
- 3/4-1 stick of butter (the more butter you add, the gooey-er your treats will be!)
- 1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 4 cups Lucky Charms
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over low heat (a 3 or 4 on the dial).
- Pour the entire bag of marshmallows in the pot and stir constantly. Don’t leave the marshmallows, they will burn and turn tough. Add vanilla extract.
- Measure 3 cups of whole Lucky Charms and crush up the remaining 1 cup.
- Take the marshmallow mixture off the heat once its nearly entirely melted. Pour all four cups in the marshmallow mixture and stir.
- Spray a brownie pan with cooking spray and press the treat mixture in. Sprinkle the reserved marshmallows over the top and let stand until they can be cleanly cut.
Tips: Don’t let your marshmallows melt all the way! If they melt too long, the bars will be tough. The more butter you use, the gooey-er your treats will be. I’ve used 1 1/2 sticks of butter before!