Fall break is almost here, and many of you are probably preparing for a long drive. As a self certified snack tester and experienced traveler, I created a list of ten road trip snacks that are perfect for long car rides!
- Gatorade: Although not technically a snack, gatorade is a road trip staple for me because I often struggle with staying hydrated on long drives. You will never find me on a road trip without at least one bottle of Gatorade!
- Veggie straws: These chips can be a healthy choice for your drive, and they come in a variety of flavors! These are not too messy but do leave crumbs.
- Peanut M&Ms: In my opinion, peanut M&Ms are superior to others. I like to grab these when I have a couple hours left. They provide the perfect boost of energy for the last leg of your trip and take the edge off of hunger.
- Applesauce pouches: I wish I had discovered these sooner! Applesauce pouches are a relatively mess free, healthy snack.They make long stretches between meals easier to handle.
- Cheese sticks: This delicious snack requires some planning (I recommend a small cooler) but is worth it. I personally enjoy the entertainment of peeling the stick apart!
- Meat sticks: These are great to pair with an applesauce pouch and cheese stick. They’re small, mess free, and give energy for the drive.
- Mini cucumbers: If you’re like me and love cucumbers, these make a great addition to your trip. They give a nice crunch as well as keep you nourished and hydrated.
- Jalapeño Potato chips: These delectable chips have been in my snack rotation for over five years! Although they are messier than an apple, the subtle spice, crunch, and overall flavor keeps me awake.
- Flaming hot Cheetos: Like the jalapeño potato chips, I’ve taken this classic chip on my adventures for several years. This is my go to snack to keep me alert. If these are a part of your trip, I recommend bringing baby wipes!
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans: Last but not least this caffeinated snack is exactly what I need to complete any drive over three hours. As a coffeeholic, this treat is perfect for me.
Each item on this list has gone through rigorous testing and has accompanied me on several cross-country road trips. I hope you give them a try!