Carry-out can be expensive, but this chicken stir-fry recipe can be made on a budget. I made this recipe up on the fly one night after an evening class when I wanted something simple, quick, and healthy. Although it’s more labor-intensive, it still contains simple ingredients and you will have a lot of leftovers! This recipe makes three meals! You will need a few more dishes than you would normally use, such as a pan you would fry eggs in, a bowl to marinate your chicken in, and a pot for rice.
- Olive oil, enough to coat the bottom of the rice pot
- 1 serving of rice, according to package
- Broth of choice or water to boil the rice in, the amount depends on the type of rice
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 chicken breast
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 package frozen edamame
- Pour the olive oil to the bottom of the pan and add the rice on low heat (a 2 or 3 on the burner scale).
- Allow the rice to toast in the oil until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the broth or water (according to package), set on high (an 8 or 9 on the burner scale), and cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Mince the garlic and set aside in a bowl with enough soy sauce to coat the bottom of the bowl, about 1/4 cup.
- Add the powdered ginger (to taste) to the garlic in the bowl.
- Cube the chicken in half-inch cubes and place it in the same bowl.
- Stir so the chicken is coated in soy sauce and seasonings.
- Add pepper if desired. Set aside.
While the chicken is marinating
- Saute the onion and kimchi until the onion is translucent.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour them directly onto the onions and kimchi and make a scramble.
- By this time, the rice should be done, so take the rice off of the heat and add the eggs, onion, and kimchi to the rice pot.
- Take the marinated chicken and dump it into the same pan that the kimchi, onions, and eggs were cooking in.
- Once the chicken is cooked all the way through (no pink in the middle), add the chicken to the rice mixture.
- Steam the edamame in the microwave according to the instructions on the package and add the beans to the stir fry.
- Stir all together.